This soup is creamy, full of flavor and rich in taste. It’s the PERFECT Fall soup… but honestly great at any time. Do not be discouraged by doing this from scratch… it is really simple. It does take a bit longer, but it is easy and totally worth it! You might want to make a double batch so you can freeze some for the holidays!
In this recipe we are going to…
- Cook the squash
- Cook the sausage
- Prepare the soup base
- Finally, we will put it all together for some creamy magic in a bowl
THE INGREDIENTS FOR BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP with sausage
This soup is based around healthy ingredients and the butternut squash is the star of the show!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Italian Sausage
- Chicken Broth
- Creamy Chicken Soup
- Bay Leaves
- Old Bay
- Heavy Cream & Lemon Juice – we did not use but you can
THE SQUASH FOR BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
Split it, season it, roast it and scoop the goodness out.
THE SOUP BASE FOR BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
Sausage & Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- sprinkle Salt
- sprinkle Pepper
- few sprigs Thyme
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5 cloves Garlic – diced
- 1/2 Onion – diced
- 1 tbsp Bay Leaves – chopped up
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 pound Sausage – ground
- 5 cloves Garlic – diced
- ¼ Onion – diced
- 4 Bay Leaves – chopped
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 32 oz Chicken Broth
- 1 can Creamy Chicken Soup with herbs
- as needed Lemon Juice
- as needed Heavy Cream
- Preheat oven to 400° – line pan with parchment paper
- Cut squash in half
- Brush the squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, place some sprigs of thyme
- Place the squash face down – roast for about 30minutes
- * make the sausage and the soup base while the squash is roasting
- Let cool – scoop seeds and other goodies out and set aside
- Scoop the rest of the squash out and place in the soup base
- Sauté' all the ingredients listed under sausage, then add the sausage in and cook completely
- remove sausage and set aside
- Sauté the garlic / onion and bay leaves
- Add in the chicken broth and the chicken soup – simmer on low
- Scoop the roasted squash into the soup base and continue to simmer for about 15 minutes
- Dump the soup into the blender and blend until smooth
- Strain if needed.
- Add in the sausage and cook on low for 15 minutes
- TASTE – taste the soup – if needed add lemon juice and cream – VERY LITTLE at a time.
- * you can also add the sausage as you plate if you do not want to add directly to the soup.
TOPPING / SERVING SUGGESTIONS
- I think this soup pairs perfectly with our creamy sausage empanada’s (coming soon)
- Bay leaves – boil some butter until the edges are brown and then throw in some whole bay leaves and sauté’ until they have a bit of a crisp.
- Nuts – you can always throw some fresh nuts on top of this soup when serving… try some crushed pralines
TIPS & TRICKS
- YES – You can store in the fridge for about 3 days, cover it tightly.
- YES – You can freeze this for up to one month!
THANX FOR STOPPING BY…
Subscribe to the blog for daily…. Inspiration, motivation, sarcasm, recipes, malarkey tips, shop with me posts, cleaning tips, national days and many more shenanigans. Have a Ridiculously AMAZING Day!!! Collect moments… celebrate the little things. Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE TO THE THE YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
HAVE YOU TRIED THESE RECIPES…
ZERO F***S. This would be my number one parenting advice. Listen and gather the advice of others but you need to do what works for your family… you do you. Stay strong and figure it the f*** out! Subscribe to the blog – today!
Follow us as we celebrate life…
My name is Tabitha and this blog is about my family and our life. We are always looking for inspiration and nonsense to keep us going… one day at a time… one celebration at a time. I am just another mama with no sick days and no days off trying to juggle family, life, wellness, getting dinner to the table while raising good humans and staying mentally sound.
Stop by the blog in the morning for cup of inspiration.
amazon affiliates may receive some pennies if you order through the links… but you my dear are charged no additional fees… so order away!